Wednesday, May 6, 2009

American Idol - The A's Have It

I want to begin by saying that this is the first season I've actually watched American Idol from start to finish. What can I say? I have no life these days. But I have finally come to see what the appeal of the show has been for the past trillion years (give or take a few), and find myself absolutely addicted, a fact which I'm slowly coming to resent since the show seems likely to never reach its climax. AI seems to be losing steam at the moment, which is a shame since things really should be picking up right about now.

My favorites on the show this year have by far been Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta, and Kris Allen. I'm ecstatic that they're in the top 4, though I'd be even happier if Danny Gokey had been sent packing weeks ago. I just don't understand the man's appeal. Plus, he slaughtered Aerosmith's "Dream On" quite ruthlessly, then sauntered self-importantly up to the front of the stage with his signature smug smile.

Adam is hands down the show's best vocalist, and I'm sure that any future show he put on would be wildly interesting! The judges praised his Led Zepplin song last night; his notes were flawless (as usual). For me, though (to borrow a phrase from Randy), it wasn't his best performance. Could last week's bottom 2 showing have shaken him up? I hope he sticks around regardless. Adam was made to perform, and deserves a spot in the finals.

Allison Iraheta, sporting a new, darker hairstyle (courtesy of Lambert's hairdresser) took on a Janis Joplin tune, a daring, daunting task, and shined. I heart Miss Iraheta, and think she's got the chops to really make it in the music business. She does seem nervous most nights, however, which takes away from her performances. Teaming up with Adam for a "Slow Ride" duet seemed to melt her fears into oblivion, however, and the pair rocked the house to close the show. If Allison sings like that every week from now on, she could really give Adam a run for his money.

Kris Allen is a sweetheart, but he's just not vocally as strong as the A's. Rock wasn't his style (but how cute was he playing guitar with Slash?), so that could have hurt his chances of survival, especially since America for some (un)reason seems obsessed with the ridiculous Danny Gokey.

Maybe if I chant "Go Home Gokey" enough my incredible mind powers will prevail.

Overall, the show was a daisy--nobody wowed me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a double-A finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment