Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Girl She Used to Be

David Cristofano's debut novel The Girl She Used to Be had me salivating over the prospect of spending hours tucked away reading a cozy, riveting tale of intrigue and suspense. The basic premise involves a girl who has lost her true identity after witnessing a horrific crime in early childhood (enter WITSEC), and her surprising encounter with a man who is a member of the mafioso family responsible.

It seemed an interesting twist, the girl's fascination with her would-be assassin, especially coupled with the journey she would undertake to find herself in the process. Sigh. So it seemed.

I have the habit of reading the first page of a book to determine whether or not the author's writing style is to my taste. Generally, while the actual subject matter may be disappointing, the first page is nevertheless a good gauge for the style. I read the first page of this book and found it to my liking, and so made the purchase. On page 2, however, the writer switched to the first-person, present-tense. I hate that. It's just my opinion, but it seems almost infantile, and negates the possibility of rich verbal expression. It's like back to pre-K, where "see Spot run" and "Jill likes cats" were the norm.

I plowed on, however, in hopes that in spite of the writer's distasteful style the story would still be pleasing. Unfortunately, the stylistic lack of imagination was a mere precursor to an overall lack of imagination. The main character was immensely unlikeable, and, while her condition could have been pitiable, she wasn't engaging and I didn't really care what happened to her. Reading became tedious, and ridiculous, and by the story's end I was so bored that I didn't even care that I was disappointed.

I would not recommend this book to anyone.

Without a doubt, The Girl She Used to Be is a honeysuckle at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment