Tuesday, May 26, 2009

And You Know You Should Be Glad

Sometimes, when I'm at work and the mindless monotony becomes unbearable, I read every single article on CNN's homepage. Most simply reiterate the same stories I heard on the radio during my morning commute, and some offer snippy, sarcastic points of view about things that don't really matter. While the articles are well-written and informative, I seldom feel enriched after one of these news cram sessions, but feel rather bogged down and disgusted with the world. On occassion, however, I come across a rare golden nugget amidst the sludge. One afternoon as I was reading an article (I confess I no longer recall the actual topic), I was surprised to realize that I really liked the article. I liked the writer's style and his voice, and I liked his view of the world. I wondered if he'd ever written any books, and a quick Google search told me that he had--several, in fact. I stopped at the library on the way home, and this is what they had in stock.

And You Know You Should Be Glad tells the story of Bob Greene, the author, and his life-long best friend, Jack Roth. Both men are older at the story's beginning, and throughout the book Greene recounts various moments they shared during their lifetimes. Jack is dying, and it causes Greene to really ponder the ideas of friendship, love, and life in general. The book undoubtedly reminds readers of the friends in their own lives, which can be a bittersweet experience. Without any contrived or superfluous wording, the book highlights some of the sweetest aspects of the human condition.


It's one of the best works of non-fiction I've read in a long time, and I definitely recommend it. I think this one's an oak.

No comments:

Post a Comment