Saturday, May 16, 2009

Two Items

Item 1: American Idol

My faith in America has been restored. Danny Gokey has been sent home from American Idol, and Kris and Adam get to hash it out in the finals. I can now breathe easily, knowing that whoever wins will at least be talented. I have to say, though, that I'm torn as to who I support. I started out this season as a clear-cut Lambert fan, but as the weeks have progressed Kris Allen has gotten better and better, while Adam's simply been treading water (don't get me wrong--I know the water he's treading is the Nile and Amazon combined) and hasn't really got anything left to really 'wow' me with. Or has he? I guess I'll have to tune into the finale to find out.

Item 2: Enchanted, Inc. -- A novel by Shanna Swendson


I randomly grabbed this book off the library shelf, desperate for some form of entertainment at work. We're currently in an extreme lull (I actually just found out my position will be eliminated next month to save $$), and I'm at my wits end trying to entertain myself. Here's the basic story:

A smart, sarcastic young Texan has moved to the Big Apple to chase big city dreams (what these dreams are is actually a bit unclear), but unfortunately is only able to land a drab, administrative job which consists mainly of making copies for a Satanic employer. She notices a lot of weird things around the city, like people wearing wings and moving gargoyles, but chalks it all up to big city weirdness. Until a mysterious man approaches her and offers an explanation for it all--MAGIC. The man works for a magical corporation, an honest-to-goodness business that markets spells, and offers her a job because she has special abilities she wasn't even aware of. On top of the job offer, the world's cutest wizard is the company's researcher in residence.

Okay, in this day and age, a novel about magic is golden. I'm a sucker for it, it makes me weak in the knees, probably because my own life is so devoid of anything like it. The book is no Harry Potter, to be sure, but it moves quickly and has some snappy dialogue. Swendson also does a great job at making readers fall in love with the novel's leading man.

I can't, however, claim the book's extremely thoughtful and intelligent--it's not. In fact, it's far from brilliant. If you're looking for serious mental stimulation or a new obsession, this is not the book for you. It's just a quick, mindless read, the kind that would be great to toss in your beach bag and devour while soaking up some rays. It's pure fun and relatively entertaining, a cute little fairytale that makes you smile. It's the first in a series, which is fabulous, because you can keep indulging your magical fantasies for days at a time. I give it a daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment